2-300g of pork ribs (with bones) – chopped
1 pack of fresh or dried noodles (any kind)
500ml of soy sauce
100ml of Xiao Xing cooking Wine
1/2 cup of crystal rock sugar
3 cloves of garlic – bashed
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2stalks of spring onion – cut intp inches
1/2 stalk of spring onion – diced
You can also add:
1 carrot – chopped
1 stalk of vegetables (lettuce/spinach/bak choy)
roasted sesame seeds
diced spring onions
1. Bring a pot of water with a piece of ginger to boil. Blanched the ribs for 3-5 mins to unpleasant materials out. Drain.
2. Heat 1 Tbsp of oil in a bigger pot. Add garlic, spring onion strips and ribs and cook for few minutes until slightly brown.
3. Add star anise, soy sauce, cooking wine and rock sugar. Fill water to until 1-2cm over the ribs. Cook on high heat for 30 mins with lid on, then add carrots into it. Lid on and cook for another 30-40mins on medium-low heat until ribs are tender.
4. Bring another pot of water and add 1Tbsp of oil to boil. Add 1 Tbsp of salt into water. Put noodles in and cook until al dante. Drain and rinse under cold water so noodles would not stick together. Mix noodles with 1 tbsp of sesame oil to keep noodles flavoured and loose.
5. Use the same pot of water to cook vegetables. Drain.
6. Place noodles in bowl, add a laddle of ribs and carrot. Add cooked vegetables, and fill the bowl with soup.
7. Garnish with chopped spring onion, roasted sesame seed. If you like spicy a dash of chilli oil will even bring the noodles to extra flavour.