Even though I am a very busy homemaker I still manage to squeeze some time to make some wonton by myself. I have to say both me and my hubby are really picky on the texture and flavor of wonton which we haven’t find any nice ones in any chinese restaurant around Sydney. I was just buying the ready-to-wrap wonton wraps and they are good enough.
Budget spent on 60 pcs of Prawn wonton:
- Wonton wraps 60 pcs – $1.80
- 250g Prawn – $5.50
- 500g Pork Mince – $6.00
- 4pcs Dried White Fungus – roughly $0.15
- a bit of Spring Onion – less than $0.10
So 60 pieces of Prawn Wonton for less than $15.00, which means about $0.25 each!
60 pcs Wonton Wraps
250g Raw Prawns
500g Pork Mince
4 small pcs Dried White Fungus – soaked and expanded
⅔ stalk of Spring Onion – finely chopped
1.5 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1.5 Tbsp Fish Sauce
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp Corn starch
pinch of pepper
- Cook the expanded white fungus in a pot of water until boiled. Drain and squeeze out excessive water, let cool down and chop up finely.
- Marinate the pork mince with all the seasonings listed above for 1 hour.
- Peel the prawns, remove the veins. Chop into mince and dices.
- Add the chopped spring onions, fungus and prawns into the marinated pork mince and mix well.
- Use a pair of chopsticks to stir and fold the prawn-pork mix until the mix gets sticky and thicken. You can occasionally squeeze and pat the mix with your hands to enough the fillings go solid.
- Prepare a small bowl of water.
- Prepare a large plate or tray, lay a sheet of baking paper, or sieve some flour onto the tray for you to put the wrapped wontons later.
- Grab a piece of wonton wrap, scoop a small spoonful of fillings and place in the middle of the wrap, dip water with your finger and than onto the edge of the wonton wrap to seal. Wrap in any shapes you like or you can google on ways and methods of wrapping wontons.
- Once you fill up one tray of wontons, sprinkle or sieve some flour around the lot so they won’t stick to each other. You can either cook them fresh, or keep them in a container and last up to 3 days in fridge and 3 months in freezer.
I cook this wontons to go with the Claypot Wonton Chickem. I will share the recipe later on.