Tony gave me another task – he wants satay skewers with rice but he can’t find any nice ones out there. Most of those satay skewers we had in restaurant are either too sweet or too dry. I searched for numerous of recipes online, combined to my own recipes and developed my own new one yesterday, and it turned out exactly how I want it.
This recipe makes 15-20 skewers, depending on the size of each skewer you make.
600g Chicken Thigh Fillet or Chicken Breast
To marinate the meat:
1 chunk Ginger
2 cloves Garlic
1 Lemon Grass root
2 Tbsp Shallot
4 Tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp Raw Sugar
1 tsp Brown Sugar
2 tsp Cumin powder
1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
1 cup coconut cream/milk
1 Tbsp Sweet Soy Sauce
1 packet of bambo skewer sticks
- Chop up the ginger, garlic and lemon grass, add everything into the blender into liquid paste form.
- Cut beef and chicken into strips or cubes
- Prepare 2 large zip lock bags, put the beef and chicken in separate bags, pour in half of the marinate sauce into each bag. Slightly squeeze and mix well, let air out and zip the bags up. Place in fridge for marinating for 2-3 hours.
- Soak the skewer sticks in a tray of water until they are fully wet. This prevent the bamboo sticks from burning while baking; Spray or apply some oil onto the skewer, this helps the cooked meat to be removed easily while serving.
- After done marinating, put on plastic gloves for mess-free operation. Slide the meat onto the skewers and leave approximately 3 inch for handling. Place the skewers onto rack over baking tray and get them ready to bake.
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees. Bake the skewers for 15 mins on each side until cooked.
To make the satay dipping sauce:
1 clove diced garlic
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp Curry powder (you can add more if you want stronger flavour)
1 tbsp oil
1 big full scoop of Peanut butter
1.5 cup coconut cream/milk
2 Tbsp Fish sauce
1 tsp Brown SUgar
1 squirt of lemon juice or lime juice
1 tsp Chicken powder
Half cup crushed peanuts
- In a small saucepan over medium heat toast the curry powder for 1 minute. Add oil and add garlic, cook until fragrant.
- Add the peanut butter and mix well with everything in the pan.
- Add the coconut cream, brown sugar, fish sauce, lemon juice, chicken powder. Continue to mix well and keep stiring.
- Once a layer of oil is developed, add the crush peanuts and let the oil to fry up the peanuts.
- Use a whisk to stir the sauce well until the oil and the satay paste to combine.
- Serve the sauce in a small bowl, best with a little but of greek yogurt on top.
Add 2-3 Tbsp of Hainan Chicken Rice flavoring to 3 cups of steam rice before cooking.
One thought on “Satay Skewer with Flavoured Rice”
Sounds like a fantastic recipe!
LikeLiked by 1 person