Roasted Whole Chicken with Rosemary
Irresistible super tender and juicy homemade roasted chicken with crispy skin. Cooking time may varies depends on the size of the poultry and oven temperature
Credit: by Cindy Cecilia Ngo
- 1 whole chicken (any size will do, cooking time varies)
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Fresh or dried rosemary
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Onion powder
- 1 Tbsp Garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Honey
Tools: Upright roasting rack with dripping dish
- Remove the whole chicken from packet, rinse and wash thoroughly. Remove excess intestines. Pad dry the whole chicken with paper towel and set aside.
- Heat up the butter in microwave for 10-20 seconds or until fully melted. Add in olive oil, soy sauce, honey and rosemary and mix well.
- Carefully split up the skin layer from the neck of the chicken and run your finger through carefully to separate the skin from the flesh without removing the skin. It should form a pouch so marinating sauce and go between the layer of the skin and flesh. Do the same for the chest, back and two sides of the thigh. Or an alternative method, use a meat tenderizer pin or fork to penetrate lots of small holes throughout the whole chicken.
- Rub salt and pepper in and out onto the chicken.
- Firmly place the chicken over the upright roasting rack and make sure the tips of the legs are tuck onto the dripping dish.
- Use a pastry brush, or if you dont have one use a spoon to drizzle the butter mixture over the chicken, and carefully put a spoonful of sauce in between the skin layer and flesh. Brush or rub the sauce over the whole chicken.
- Tuck the wings into the underarm. Keep brushing few more layers until the chicken colour up Place the chicken in front of a fan on low power or somewhere with good air circulation for 30 mins to 1 hour until the skin is dry from touching.
- Preheat oven at 180″C, roast the chicken for 40 mins and then rotate and turn up the temperature to 200″C, and roast for another 20 mins. Check the chicken with a meat thermometer by penetrating into the thickest part of the meat i.e. Breast and thigh. Once the temperature of the inner breast part reaches 75″C, take it out of the oven. Rest chicken for 5 mins before serve. 9″ Collect the dripped fat and sauce from the dripping dish and drain through a strainer, with a sauce dish. Serve as a dipping sauce for the chicken. Enjoy!