While enjoying a Netflix movie in a cold night, instead of having chips and crackers we had something different this weekend. We usually buy a flavoured ready-to-eat chestnuts (100g) from Korean store for $7. It’s a bit pricey for this amount so we bought a good 1kg raw chestnut in Asian grocery supermarket for $7.80 and I decided to try make them by myself.
1kg Raw chestnuts
½ cup raw sugar
½cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp Honey
Depends on the size of the chestnuts cooking time may vary
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Wash the chestnuts in lukewarm water. It helps to soften up the skin a little bit for next process.
- Use a sharp knife to cut an “X” on the flat side of each chestnuts.
- Place baking paper on a baking tray and spread the chestnuts on layer.
- Bake the chestnut for 20-25 mins.
- In a large mixing bowl dissolve the sugars and honey into hot water, and take the chestnuts out to soak for approx. 10 mins in the sugar syrup.
- Remove chestnuts from the sugar syrup and return to baking tray. Use a pastry brush to brush a few layers of sugar syrup on top of the chestnuts and bake for another 10 mins or until you can smell the scent of caramel
- Bring out the chestnuts and let cool for awhile and serve.